Although beetles come in a wide range of sizes, shapes, and colors, you can identify most species by the following:
- The beetle's first pair of wings are hardened to cover and protect their second pair of wings (flying wings).
- Beetles have a straight line that goes down their back where the hard wing covers meet.
- Beetles have well-developed antennae.
- Beetles are weak flyers.
- Beetles have chewing mouthparts.
Are beetles dangerous?
Beetles are mostly annoying. They move into our homes without being asked, generate large populations, and are difficult to control. Beetles are also dangerous and destructive pests. They contaminate food, personal property, furniture, crops, and plants. In most cases, their larval stage is the stage of development that is most damaging. Females will lay eggs on a suitable food source, and once the larvae hatch, they begin to feed, causing damage in the process.
Why do I have a beetle problem?
If your outdoor space offers beetles with a suitable place to live, feed, and breed, they will take advantage. Beetles become a problem inside homes and other structures after moving indoors on their own or after being introduced inside on things like potted plants, boxes, furniture, or in contaminated goods purchased from the grocery store.
Where will I find beetles?
Beetles live outside in areas of damp soil, though some also live in aquatic environments. Gardens, flowers, trees, and fields are where you are most likely to find beetles. Many beetles live outside in landscaped areas near our homes.
When the weather becomes too hot, dry, wet, or cold, our homes' proximity allows them to move in through spaces under doors and in the foundation. Outdoor lighting also attracts beetles to homes and other buildings. Inside, beetles live in kitchens, pantries, basements, closets, cabinets, and storage areas. Rugs, bedding, stored linens, and stored pantry items are at risk of being invaded and damaged by beetles.
How do I get rid of beetles?
The best way to get rid of beetles from your Las Vegas, Nevada area property, is to partner with the local pest control experts at Pest Control Solutions, Inc. We have a deep understanding of the pests that live in our area and how to control and eliminate them.
Our dedicated professionals use "out of the box" thinking to solve current pest problems, and prevent future ones. We take the time to work with our customers and tailor all of our home pest control and commercial pest control services to meet the unique needs of every home and business we serve.
How can I prevent beetles in the future?
The following list of prevention tips will help you to avoid problems with beetles:
- Maintain a barrier to prevent beetles from finding their way into your home by inspecting its exterior and repairing cracks or other openings.
- Regularly vacuum and dust your home.
- Deep clean carpets, draperies, and upholstered furniture frequently.
- Don't buy dry goods from the store that have holes or tears in them.
- Remove piles of cardboard boxes, magazines, newspapers, and other clutter from your house.
- Store items made from natural fibers in pest-proof storage containers.
- Remove dry goods from their original containers and place them in plastic, metal, or glass containers with lids that seal.
- Replace traditional white outdoor bulbs with LED bulbs. They are less attractive to beetles and other insects.
For more information about our proactive residential or commercial beetle control services, contact us at Pest Control Solutions, Inc. today!