What are pigeons?
Pigeons live in large populations throughout the United States, including throughout the Las Vegas region. They are among the most significant and troublesome species of pest birds, having discovered the benefits of living near people. Pigeons have been domesticated for a long time, but some have escaped captivity and established wild populations. It is the feral pigeons that have become such a problem for people and that damage our properties.
Adult pigeons grow to between 11 and 15 inches in length and typically weigh right around 13 ounces. They have a light gray body, with the head, shoulders, and breast a darker gray color. Two dark bars going across their wings and tail helps to identify these birds. Some pigeons have rust or metallic colored feathers on their breast, neck, and head. Pigeons are strong fliers, and their flight-muscles make up about one-third of their total body weight.
Are pigeons dangerous?
Pigeons are dangerous pests and pose a variety of problems for people:
- They carry and transmit things like salmonella and toxoplasmosis, which can make people quite ill.
- Pigeons have a type of fungus growing in their feces, which causes histoplasmosis.
- Their droppings build up on the ground below their roosting sites. Their feces is not only unpleasant, but also creates a slip and fall hazard around homes and businesses.
- Pigeons introduce parasitic fleas, mites, and ticks onto your property and into your home or business.
- Their nest and feces damage roof eaves, gutters, and ventilation systems.
- The constant loud cooing sounds they create can become annoying.
Why do I have a pigeon problem?
Pigeons live in both rural and urban areas and take advantage of the food and shelter that our homes and businesses provide them. As long as there is food available, they breed throughout the year, with peek breeding during the spring and fall, giving them the ability to become a problem on properties any time of the year.
Pigeons living in the wild mostly eat seeds, but they also eat berries, vegetation, and some small insects. Pigeons that have a more urban lifestyle have a much more varied diet and will eat almost anything they come across.
Where will I find pigeons?
Pigeons are monogamous and flock together in large groups of equal numbers of males and females. In rural areas, pigeons live, roost, and nest in fields, in barns, feed mills, storage buildings, in rock crevices, or caves.
In urban areas, pigeons roost or nest in large groups around church steeples, the rafters of large open warehouses, on the roofs of buildings, under bridges, and in parks. They are a problem on our homes roosting on gutters, roof eaves, chimneys. Pigeons also nest in attic spaces, garages, and sheds.
How do I get rid of pigeons?
The best way to get rid of pigeons from your Las Vegas, Nevada area property, is to partner with the local pest control experts at Pest Control Solutions, Inc. We have a deep understanding of the pests that live in our area and how to control and eliminate them.
Our dedicated professionals use “out of the box” thinking to solve current pest problems, and prevent future ones. We take the time to work with our customers and tailor all of our home pest control and commercial pest control services to meet the unique needs of every home and business we serve.
How can I prevent pigeons in the future?
The following list of prevention tips will help you to avoid problems with pigeons:
- Eliminate sources of water by fixing leaky outdoor fixtures, hoses. It is also helpful to clear out clogged gutters and remove bird baths from your property.
- Remove bird feeders from your property.
- Keep locking lids on trash cans and compost bins.
- Keep outdoor eating areas free of food debris. Never purposely drop food for pigeons to eat.
- Use a motion-activated sprinkler system to deter pigeons from living or resting in certain areas of your property.
- The easiest and most cost-effective way to prevent problems with pigeons is to partner with a trained pest control expert like the ones found at Pest Control Solutions, Inc.
For more information about our pigeon control services and proactive residential pest control or commercial services contact us at Pest Control Solutions, Inc. today!
Schedule Your Free Inspection
Complete the form below to schedule your no obligation inspection with Pest Control Solutions Inc.