The Dangers Of A Rodent Infestation In Your Las Vegas Home
July 5, 2021
One of the biggest threats rodents like mice and rats pose to your Las Vegas property is their unparalleled chewing capacity. Mice and rats have powerful incisors that continuously grow throughout their lifetimes, and that means they have to chew constantly to keep them filed down. They'll gnaw their way through the wood, particleboard, plastic, water pipes, insulation, sheetrock, and electrical wires. A prolonged rodent infestation can lead to significant structural damage, and may even put your home at risk for electrical fires. This is why prevention and pest control in Las Vegas is extremely important!
Another problem they bring to homes is deadly pathogens. Rodents transmit all kinds of nasty diseases and pathogens with their urine, fecal matter, and saliva:
- E. Coli
- Rat-bite fever
- C. Diff
- Lymphocytic choriomeningitis
If that isn't bad enough, rodents also tend to bring parasites along with them. Tapeworms, fleas, and ticks are the most common, and the presence of these pests opens up a whole new host of transmittable diseases like Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Lyme Disease, and tularemia. Bottom line, no matter how adorable their fuzzy cheeks are, rats and mice are incredibly dangerous to have in your home.
The Difference Between DIY And Professional Rodent Control
Some people try to save some extra cash by testing out DIY rodent control methods, and while that's a great practice for prevention, it's largely ineffective and potentially dangerous to try to exterminate them on your own for several reasons:
- Mousetraps – mice and rats are much smarter than they're given credit, and can easily avoid getting snapped while still absconding with the bait
- Poison – this type of bait leads to monumental environmental problems if they're eaten by other carnivores after being poisoned, and is a huge health hazard around pets and small children
- Mothballs – wholly ineffective in small amounts, and dangerous in larger amounts necessary to eradicate a rodent infestation
- Essential oils – completely ineffective, and potentially dangerous if you have pets
- Ultrasonic repellents – barely effective for a short amount of time, but overall useless and a waste of money. Once rodents get used to the noise, they come right back
Rodents are a nightmare to deal with on your own, but thankfully you don't have to. With over 25 years of cumulative experience, our pest control technicians at Pest Control Solutions know exactly what it takes to get rid of a rodent infestation. We tailor each home pest control and commercial pest control treatment to the personalized needs of all our customers, and we back every visit with our 100% pest-free guarantee. Don't wait until the plague doctors are knocking at your door; get in contact with us today to start discussing your rodent control options.