Total Rodent-Prevention Guide for Las Vegas Residents
January 15, 2022
Do you know that, when mice or rats get into your Las Vegas home, you'll have one kind or the other? It is rare for mice and rats to infest a structure together. This is because rats kill and eat mice. No self-respecting mouse is going to decide to live in a structure that has rats in it. How does it know that there are rats in a structure? It uses its nose. Rats leave droplets of urine everywhere they explore. Mice pick up on this scent and avoid locations where they think rats may be hiding. This is important to know because mouse prevention is slightly different from rat prevention. Today, we're going to talk about tiny rodents and big rodents, what they're looking for, how they get in, and how to keep rodents away from your home with effective pest control in Las Vegas.
Different Rodents Require Different Methods
Before we discuss general prevention tips for both mice and rats, let's take a quick moment to look at how different rodents can present different challenges.
- Size. We touched on this. Tiny rodents use tiny openings. An adult mouse can fit through a hole the size of a dime. While big rodents only need a hole the size of a quarter, a quarter-sized hole is a little easier to see. If you hope to prevent mice, you need to look closely for the tiniest of holes.
- Food. Mice feed on seeds, nuts, grains, fruits, and vegetables. Rats have a preference for meat, cheese, and pet food. You'll need to consider these food preferences as you work to prevent these pests.
- Access. A mouse can jump about a foot into the air. That is certainly impressive for its size, but it is nothing compared to the 36 inches a rat can jump! This must be considered as you work to keep rats out of your Las Vegas home.
If you have things in your yard that attract rodents, you will have more rodent activity. This will increase the chances that a rodent will get into your home. The first step in rodent control is to address attractants.
While different rodents are attracted to different things, you can use these tips to prevent all rodents from being active around your home.
- Make sure all garbage is stored in covered containers.
- Keep trash receptacles to reduce odors that attract rodents from a distance.
- Move bird feeders well away from your exterior walls.
- Refrain from feeding your pets outside.
- Keep on top of pet waste clean-up. As unsavory as it may sound, some urban rodents will feed on the waste of domesticated canines.
- Thin out any dense areas in your landscape vegetation.
- Clean your gutters and make repairs to your gutter system.
- Remove hiding places, such as scrap wood, branches, and man-made objects. A clutter-free yard is a rodent-resistant yard.
When little rodents or big rodents explore your exterior, it is important that they don't find even the tiniest of holes. A little rodent will slip right through and a big rodent may use its strong teeth to make the little hole bigger.
Use these tips to protect your exterior and exclude rodents.
- Use a caulking gun to seal holes and gaps.
- Use metal flashing to bolster areas that mice or rats are gnawing.
- Replace weatherstripping, door sweeps, or screens that are damaged.
- Make sure ventilation and louvers are properly protected.
- Trim tree branches away from your roofline.
- Put wire mesh in the downspouts of your gutter system.
Mouse And Rat Control In Las Vegas
Whether you have a mouse or rat infestation on your property, all rodents in Las Vegas can be easily controlled with a phone call or an e-mail. Reach out to Pest Control Solutions Inc for industry-leading rodent control. We know how to keep rodents away and keep them from getting into your home.