Some of the most common species of stinging insects living around the Las Vegas area include:
- Yellow jackets
- Mud daubers
Are stinging insects dangerous?
While stinging insects like bees, wasps, and yellow jackets are helpful creatures, they are also dangerous and should never be handled or annoyed. Many species like hornets and wasps are very aggressive and won’t hesitate to defend themselves or nest from perceived danger. They are also able to deliver multiple painful stings injecting more and more venom with each sting.
The venom that any stinging insect possesses is strong enough to trigger reactions in those allergic. The reaction can range from mild localized swelling to life-threatening anaphylaxis. If you notice that stinging insects have placed a nest on your property that puts you, your family, or pets in danger, seek professional help to remove the nests.
Why do I have a stinging insect problem?
Stinging insects generally become a problem for people when their populations are at their highest: late summer and early fall. However, they are also problematic in the spring when they first become active and are building their nests and foraging for food.
Stinging insects feed on and gather various things, including plant nectar, pollen, sweets, and proteins. Our yards provide stinging insects with many places to forage for food, such as flowers, gardens, trash cans, compost bins, and outdoor eating areas. Stinging insects also like yards that provide them with easy access to water. Bird baths, pools, clogged gutters, and leaky fixtures or hoses attract stinging insects.
Where will I find stinging insects?
Areas that provide shelter are where stinging insects prefer to build their nests. Keeping their nest out of a predator’s reach is very important. Common nesting sites for wasps, bees, and other species that like to nest above the ground include tree limbs, utility poles, playsets, a home’s exterior walls, doorways, and under decks.
Yellow jackets, mud daubers, and other ground nesters build nests in ground holes and the abandoned nests of small animals. They also like to place their nests under shrubbery, woodpiles, landscaping ties, or next to foundations.
How do I get rid of stinging insects?
The best way to get rid of stinging insects from your Las Vegas, Nevada area property, is to partner with the local pest control experts at Pest Control Solutions, Inc. We have a deep understanding of the pests that live in our area and how to control and eliminate them.
Our dedicated professionals use “out of the box” thinking to solve current pest problems, and prevent future ones. We take the time to work with our customers and tailor all of our home pest control and commercial pest control services to meet the unique needs of every home and business we serve.
How can I prevent stinging insects in the future?
The following list of prevention tips will help you to avoid problems with stinging insects:
- Many species of stinging insect feed on the same things we do. Stop them for foraging for food in trash cans or compost bins by keeping tight-fitting lids on them.
- To limit their access to food, it is also important to keep grills and outdoor eating areas free of food debris.
- Reduce the amount of flowering vegetation you have planted next to your home’s walls.
- Help to prevent stinging insects from building a nest close to your exterior walls by cutting back tree branches and overgrown shrubbery.
- Keep stinging insects out of your home by repairing roof damage, cracks in walls, and torn screens.
- When working outside in garden areas, wear long sleeves and pants and avoid wearing heavily scented perfumes or lotions.
- Keep your shoes on when walking through grassy areas.
- Contact Pest Control Solutions, Inc. to eliminate stinging insects from your property.
For more information about our proactive residential or commercial stinging insect control services, contact us at Pest Control Solutions, Inc. today!