In our area, some of the most common species of spiders people run into include:
- Black widow spiders
- Brown recluse spiders
- Wolf spiders
- Hobo spiders
Are spiders dangerous?
All spiders have venom, but not all spiders have venom that is strong enough to cause harm to people. Most spiders do not and are harmless pests. In the Las Vegas area, the spiders you should be most concerned with are the black widow and brown recluse. They are the two species of spiders living in the United States that cause the most significant health risks. A bite from either species should be met with a trip to the doctor to manage the symptoms.
Why do I have a spider problem?
The following things attract insects and, in turn, the spiders that feed on them, to any yard.
- Tall grasses
- Lots of flowering trees and vegetation
- Dripping faucets, hoses, and other sources of water
- Brush piles, leaf piles, landscaping ties
Once living and feeding on your property, it is common for spiders to move inside of homes or outbuildings, usually following their prey. Things like loose screens, gaps under doors, and cracks in exterior walls are common entry points. They are also accidentally brought inside on potted plants, in storage boxes, or on firewood.
If there are insects inside for them to feed on, they will usually stay and take advantage of the shelter that the structure provides them.
Where will I find spiders?
Whether living inside our outside, spiders like to hide in dark areas that keep them out of view. Shy and reclusive by nature, spiders try to stay out of the limelight as much as possible. Their ability to hide is the leading cause of bites. When people accidentally make contact with spiders while reaching into boxes, closets, and under sinks, they will defend themselves by biting.
Inside, some spiders prefer locations that are damp like basements, crawl spaces, areas under sinks, and potted plants. Some species prefer dryer locations and live hiding in attics, air vents, or above cabinets.
How do I get rid of spiders?
The best way to get rid of spiders from your Las Vegas, Nevada area property, is to partner with the local pest control experts at Pest Control Solutions, Inc. We have a deep understanding of the pests that live in our area and how to control and eliminate them.
Our dedicated professionals use “out of the box” thinking to solve current pest problems, and prevent future ones. We take the time to work with our customers and tailor all of our pest control services to meet the unique needs of every home and business we serve.
How can I prevent spiders in the future?
The following list of prevention tips will help you to avoid problems with spiders:
- Vacuum up any spiders or spider webs you discover in your home.
- Keep your home as neat and tidy as possible to reduce hiding spots for spiders.
- As with the inside of your home, keep the outside neat and tidy. Cut back overgrown shrubs and bushes — make sure they aren’t touching your home’s exterior walls.
- Remove brush piles, leaf piles, and other debris from your yard.
- Create a tight-barrier that won’t allow spiders into your house by caulking cracks in exterior walls and the foundation.
- Place covers over vents, drains, and chimneys. Seal spaces around utilities entering into your home.
- Turn off exterior lights when not needed. Spiders are not attracted to light, but the insects they feed on are.
For more information about our proactive residential or commercial spider control services, contact us at Pest Control Solutions, Inc. today!