Ant Control 101: What Every Las Vegas Homeowner Ought To Know
The image we have of ants is generally very positive. We see them as strong, hardworking, and industrious. Ants benefit us in many ways, from keeping the population of other invasive insects down to aerating the soil. But an ant infestation that finds its way into your home can be a nightmarish situation, with damages adding up to tens of thousands of dollars.
In Las Vegas, with our dry, desert climate, three species you may likely run into around your property:
- Carpenter ants are some of the largest ants in North America, measuring up to 5/8 of an inch long, with red, black, or brown bodies. While most other ants species are more of a nuisance, carpenter ants can cause serious damage to your home as they tunnel through its wooden structure, building nests.
- Odorous house ants get their name from the odor of rotten coconuts they release when threatened or crushed. Odorous house ants are also known as "coconut ants" for that reason. They're usually between 1/16 and 1/8 of an inch and black or brown.
- Pavement ants are usually black or brown and up to 1/8 of an inch in size. They often nest in cracks or under pavement and sidewalks.
- Ghost ants are some of the tiniest ant species, small enough to be hard to see. They have a dark brown head and thorax complimented by yellow abdomen and legs. Ghost ants have a major sweet tooth and often nest in walls or behind the cupboards if they make their way into the house.
A difference between Las Vegas ant control strategies that work and those that fail is, more often than not, being able to correctly identify the invading insect.
Let's look at a few common ant facts, how to get rid of ants, and, if needed, how to find reliable pest control in Las Vegas.
Characteristics Of Common Ants
Ants are small, communal insects that live in huge underground colonies. They delegate the tasks needed for colony upkeep between different casts. Each colony has one queen, who is much larger and lives much longer than other ants. The majority of the ants in the colony are female worker ants. The male ants are either drones that live solely to mate with the queen and then die or winged alates, reproductives born to establish another colony.
The Problems Ants Can Cause In Your House
The ants in Las Vegas don't bite unless they are defending themselves and don't carry infectious diseases, but they will contaminate food left open in the house if given a chance.
Carpenter ants are the only ant species that can cause significant damage to your house. They tunnel through your home's wooden structural members and weaken its structure.
Five No-Nonsense Ant Prevention Tips For Around The House
Prevention is the best approach to controlling any infestation so let's look at a few tips to help you keep ants out of your house:
- Take care of any plumbing leaks.
- Seal the outside walls and foundation.
- Make sure to clean up dropped food and spilled drinks immediately.
- Store food in enclosed containers.
- Cut the branches of the surrounding trees away from the house.
Ants multiply fast, and a colony can have over 300,000 members, so it's very important to spot and take care of ant infestation as early as possible.
Professional Ant Control Is The Way To Go For Your Home
At Pest Control Solutions, we are a family-owned-and-operated company with 25 years of pest control experience and can rid your Las Vegas home of ants or any other unwelcome invaders.
If you're struggling to get rid of an ant infestation, give Pest Control Solutions a call today to get started and to learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in Las Vegas.