Are These Bed Bugs In My Las Vegas Home?
Everyone fears the diagnosis of bed bugs, but what’s worse is having bed bugs and misdiagnosing the problem for another pest. Bed bugs can be hard to identify. Not only are they small, but they are similar in appearance to ticks and other small insects. It’s dangerous to misidentify a bed bug and let them continue to breed, so it’s essential to know their characteristics and the tell-tale signs of a bed bug infestation.
How To Identify Bed Bugs
These apple seed-sized pests are difficult to inspect and catch before there’s a true infestation. They are more active at night while you’re resting, and they can hide in incredibly small holes. Thankfully, there are ways to be able to tell what you’re dealing with, especially because bed bugs are sloppy houseguests.
- Up to ¼ of an inch long
- Reddish-brown and flat, oval-shaped bodies
- Three-segment beaks, four-segment antennae, wings not used for flying, and covered in short, golden hairs
- Females can lay 1-3 eggs a day which can add up to 600 eggs in their 6-12 month lifespan
- Nymphs (bed bug young) are translucent to yellow
- Eggs are the size of a pinhead and pearl-white
- Molt skins after each stage of development
These hardy pests can survive in extreme conditions, so getting rid of an infestation isn’t easy. Hopefully, it doesn’t come down to throwing out property, but early identification can help prevent major losses.
Signs Of An Infestation
Bed bugs are sloppy and impolite when it comes to your stuff. Though they are difficult to catch running around in the daytime, they leave quite a bit of mess behind that can be seen with the naked eye.
Look out for these signs that you have an infestation:
- Molted skins, empty eggs, or unhatched eggs around common rest areas
- Red smears from smushed bugs, especially in popular nesting areas such as mattresses and couches
- Brown spots from fecal matter that may spread like marker blots
- Itchy bite marks, especially on arms and legs
- Signs of bed bugs in cracks or crevices such as where the wall and ceiling meet, under loose wallpaper, around electrical outlets, and in the folds of the curtains
When an infestation is likely, it’s time to move fast. Taking care of an infestation yourself is not likely as bed bugs can survive over a year without feeding, and trying to drive them out in inhospitable temperatures is not feasible in a home setting. Not only are they difficult to kill on your own, but it may be difficult or impossible to tell if you’re getting all of their hiding spots. Prevent the headache and uncertainty of do-it-yourself extermination and call Pest Control Solutions Inc.
Your Las Vegas Pest Control
We at Pest Control Solutions Inc. have been servicing the Las Vegas community for 25 years. We know how discouraging pests like bed bugs can be, and we want to restore your peace of mind as soon as possible with our bed bug control service. Not only do we offer a free inspection that can immediately put your doubts to rest, we offer green and natural pest solutions, emergency services, night services, and unscheduled visits if pests return before we are scheduled to come back. Call Pest Control Solutions Inc. or visit us online to schedule a visit. Get on top of your pest problem today.