Five Signs Your Las Vegas Property Has Carpenter Ants
There are over 12,000 species of ants worldwide, most of which are simple nuisance pests. However, one that is not a nuisance pest, which we have to deal with here in Las Vegas, is the carpenter ant.
Carpenter ants are destructive ants when they invade homes. They can destroy structural wood, furniture, and other wood fixtures throughout a house. That’s why it is important for you to know the indications that you have a carpenter ant infestation. So you can contact the professionals quickly, limiting your exposure to potential damage. In addition, it is important to know some prevention techniques so you can protect your Las Vegas property from these costly pests, at all times.
What To Know About Carpenter Ants
Carpenter ants vary in color and size. They can grow up to 5/8th of an inch long and can be black, red, yellow, or a combination of the three. Carpenter ants have strong mandibles which they use for chewing through wood. These powerful mandibles can inflict painful bites if you are handling these ants.
Unlike termites, which these ants are often mistaken for, carpenter ants do not eat wood. Rather, they build their colonies inside wood that has usually been damaged by water, moisture, or decay. As such, carpenter ant workers must leave their colony in search of food. So you are more likely to see carpenter ants than you are to see termites.
Carpenter ant colonies consist of a queen, workers, and swarmers. While workers gather food and protect the colony, swarmers are winged ants that set out to create new colonies, usually in the springtime.
Signs That You May Have A Carpenter Ant Infestation
Carpenter ant infestations can be costly if left unchecked. This is why it is so important for you to know the signs of them.
These signs include:
- Sawdust-like wood shaving found under small holes in the wood of your home.
- Hearing rustling noises in your walls.
- Spotting workers as they gather food.
- Spotting the large winged swarmers coming out of your walls and ceiling.
- Spotting the shed wings of swarmers on the floors or windowsills of your home.
Ways To Prevent Carpenter Ants
If you do not notice any of the signs of a carpenter ant infestation, there are steps you can take to ensure your protection from future infestations. This means cutting off possible access points as well as eliminating certain aspects that might attract these ants inside.
- Install door sweeps under all exterior doors.
- Seal any cracks in the foundation of your home.
- Install window and door screens.
- Fix any rips or tears in existing screens.
- Remove or replace any rotting wood within your walls or floors.
- Remove any rotting wood furniture or other decaying wood from your home.
- Keep food properly stored in tightly-sealed containers.
- Wipe up any spills from countertops or floors immediately.
By following these steps, you should be able to greatly limit your exposure to future carpenter ant infestations.
What To Do If You Have A Carpenter Ant Infestation
Even if you take all these preventive measures, you could still find yourself dealing with a carpenter ant infestation. If this is the case, don’t hesitate. Give the professionals here Pest Control Solutions, Inc. a call, so you can started on home pest control or commercial pest control services.
Our trained pest professionals will not only eliminate any ant infestations you are currently dealing with, but they will work with you to take the necessary precautions to prevent future infestations. Any delay could mean more damage. Don’t delay, call today.