A Handy Guide To Effective Ant Control For Your Las Vegas Property
Ants are tiny nuisance pests that infest in massive numbers. As social insects, ants live in very large colonies. The population of one colony alone can consist of millions of ants. Because of their tiny size, they can gain entry into your property through the sneakiest, most remote areas. Because of this, figuring out how they get in can be very tricky. That’s why ant infestations can go unnoticed for long periods of time, allowing colonies to grow and spread, further exacerbating the infestation until it becomes a full-on nightmare.
But let’s not get ahead of ourselves. The first thing to figure out is what kind of ants you’re dealing with. Seeing as there are over 12,000 species of ants all over the world, it’s not always easy to distinguish one from the other. Here are a few of the most common ant species in Las Vegas and some of the basic characteristics that can help you identify them.
- 1/16 to 1/4 inches long
- Dark to light brown in color
- Oval-shaped, segmented body with 6 legs
- Antennae have 12 segments
Odorous House Ants
- Up to 1/8 of an inch long
- Dark brown/black
- Emit a rotten-smelling odor when they are squished
- Tend to contaminate food
- About 1/6 of an inch long
- Light brown/black
- Segmented, oval-shaped body with 6 legs
- Build their colonies under the pavement
- Up to ½ of an inch long
- Often confused with termites
- Destroys wet, decaying wood
We all know ants are considered nuisance pests; and they are just that: a nuisance. However, some species can bite, sting, or cause contamination and damage. No matter the species, it’s never good to have ants in your Las Vegas home. They threaten your property as well as the wellbeing of everyone inside of it. That is why prevention is absolutely crucial.
Helpful Ways To Keep Ants Off Your Property
You need to do everything you can to reduce your chances of an ant infestation. When it comes to effective prevention, a good place to start is removing attractants around your property. Eliminating these factors will give ants less of an incentive to infest. Here are some useful ways to keep ants out of your Las Vegas home and/or business.
- Clean up spills and crumbs, wipe down counters, and keep food in tightly sealed containers.
- Eliminate any sources of standing water and excess moisture.
- Fix leaky pipes, faulty facets, and malfunctioning drains.
- Frequently take the garbage out and keep it outside in a lidded bin.
- Keep landscaping well-trimmed and away from the house.
- Maintain a high level of cleanliness around your property.
- Seal up any cracks and crevices around the foundation.
How Do Ants Get Inside In The First Place?
Since they are so small, ants can access your property through the tiniest cracks and crevices. If you have any unsealed holes around the exterior of your home, ants can sneak their way in. They can enter through foundation gaps and cracks in floors and walls. They can also find their way inside through plumbing lines and utility drains. When looking for entry points, it’s a good idea to check all screens and door sweeps, as well as baseboards along the floor. You’ll also want to inspect windows and window frames, looking out for any potential points of access.
If you suspect any ant activity on your Las Vegas property, give us a call today. Pest Control Solutions Inc. provides extensive ant control and prevention services that you can rely on all year long. We're here to eliminate any existing infestations as well as offer dependable ant protection for the future. Contact us to set up your initial home pest control or commercial pest control inspection.