What The Las Vegas Pest Experts Wants You To Know About Termites
When it comes to Las Vegas property damage, there’s one major nuisance pest that you need to be on the lookout for, termites. Termites are destructive wood-eating pests that are small in size, but big in power. Let’s go over some of the basic identifiers to help you with your termite detection efforts.
The coloration of termites varies from brown to black to white, all depending on their caste. For example, worker termites are a creamy, translucent color, and they are often said to look like “white ants” while reproductives range from brown to black. Termites have bodies that are comprised of two segments with a straight abdomen, two antennae, and six legs. They range in size from 1/8 to 1 inch long, again depending on their caste and their specific function within the colony.
What Else Should I Know?
When we think about termites, our mind goes straight to the large scale property damage they can cause, but these wood-eating pests do have some benefits. Within the natural ecosystem, termites are helpful in soil fertilization and forest regrowth. As they decompose rotting wood and dead trees, they compost the soil allowing new trees to regrow faster. They also help to aerate the soil, giving roots easier access to nutrients and water.
So, even though they can wreak havoc on the structural integrity of our homes and businesses, at least the environment around us can benefit from their presence. If you’re unsure whether there are termites on your property or not, there are some signs you can keep an eye out for.
- Ceilings and walls that buckle
- Damp, damaged or weakened wood
- Discolored drooping drywall
- Pinholes through the drywall
- Hollow sounding wood when tapped upon
- Painted walls that bubble and peel
- Small tapping sounds from inside the walls
- Windows and doors that are hard to open
What Can I Do To Keep Them Away?
If you detect any of the signs listed above, chances are you have an advanced termite problem on your hands. The best thing to do in the event of a termite infestation is to call on the pest professionals. If you don’t have termites, you should still be proactive in your efforts to reduce attractants around your property.
Here are some preventative tips to keep away these wood-eating pests.
- Avoid any wood-to-soil contact.
- Eliminate excess moisture around the property.
- Install a dehumidifier in moisture-rich areas.
- Keep downspouts extended away from the building.
- Repair leaky faucets and faulty pipes.
- Use vent fans in kitchens, bathrooms, and laundry rooms.
- Remove rotting or moisture-damaged wood.
- Fix rotten areas of the roof to prevent entry.
- Inspect all wood before bringing onto your property.
- Keep woodpiles away from the perimeter of your building.
- Use weather stripping around all doors and windows.
These are all great ways to minimize your exposure to termite activity. Taking proper preventative measures can go a long way in effective termite control, however, none of these methods is completely reliable on its own. The only guaranteed way to protect your property from a termite infestation is with professional pest control services. Contact the team at Pest Control Solutions Inc. for all of your termite control needs.
Whether you currently notice signs of termite activity around your property, or you’re just seeking dependable protection for the future, we’ve got you covered. Our team of highly experienced pest technicians will conduct a comprehensive inspection of your property, and come up with a customized plan to treat your termite situation. After that, we return for follow up services throughout the year, scheduled at your convenience, to protect your property moving forward. Call us today to learn more about our home pest control and commercial pest control services and we’ll set up an extensive inspection right away.