What Las Vegas Property Owners Need To Know About Spider Control
Does it matter to you whether a spider is harmful or not? More specifically, would you pick up a spider if you knew it couldn’t hurt you? Most people would not. Why? Because spiders are creepy. Even if they aren’t dangerous, they are still annoying and invasive pests. If you are here today looking for a way to keep spiders of all kinds out of your Las Vegas home, we are here to help. Here are a few things you need to know about effective spider control.
Common Spiders Around Las Vegas
Las Vegas is home to a large number of different spider species. We have hobo spiders, jumping spiders, giant house spiders, cellar spiders, tarantulas, orb weavers, wolf spiders, sac spiders, brown recluse spiders, and black widow spiders. We know - that’s a lot of spiders. The good news is that of all these species, only two are considered dangerous: the brown recluse and the black widow. The bad news is that both are common home invaders.
Here is how you can identify these two dangerous arachnids.
Color: Light to dark brown
Size: ¼ - ½ inches long
Markings: A backward dark brown violin shape on their back
Size: 1 ½ - 1 ⅜ inches long
Markings: A red hourglass figure on the underside of their abdomen
Keeping Spiders Out Of Your Las Vegas Home
To properly protect your home against harmful and harmless spiders, you have to first understand why they invade. The main reason spiders enter homes is to hunt for other insects. Keeping that in mind, to prevent spiders you have to keep the insects they hunt out of your home as well.
Here are some practical ways to do this:
- Purchase a caulking gun and use it to seal up gaps and cracks around the exterior of your home. Specifically check along the edges of window and door frames, throughout your home’s foundation, and around utility piping entering into your home.
- Check window and door screens around your home, and repair and replace them if necessary.
- Make sure all of your exterior doors have door sweeps beneath them.
- Inspect weather stripping around your home, and make sure it is in good working order.
- After each meal, store leftover foods and beverages inside airtight containers.
- Repackage opened boxes of cereal, pet food, and other dried goods into larger plastic containers.
- If you have pets, pick up and clean out their food and water bowl after every time they finish feeding.
- Clean your home thoroughly at least once a week, and do your best to keep clutter to a minimum.
- Address moisture issues such as leaky piping and fixtures, broken gutters, and high humidity.
- Keep exterior lights turned off at night or invest in insect repellent bulbs.
- Mow your lawn regularly, and keep your landscaping well maintained and trimmed away from the exterior of your home.
Despite your best efforts, you still may find yourself struggling to deal with your spider problem. Fortunately, the professionals at Pest Control Solutions Inc. are here to help.
An Easier Way To Prevent Spiders
Dealing with spiders on your own can seem like a daunting task. If you are looking for a reliable, hassle-free way to keep spiders and the insects they hunt out of your home, we have a great option for you here at Pest Control Solutions Inc. With our effective home pest control and commercial pest control plans, you can find freedom from a wide assortment of pests including spiders.
With 25 years in the pest control industry, we have the experience and tools needed to keep spiders, including brown recluse and black widow spiders, and other unwanted pests out of your Las Vegas home. You and your home deserve only the best; reach out to us today!